Each year, APA-Kansas recognizes great planning in Kansas through the APA Kansas Chapter Awards.
Pioneer Urban Award
Wichita - South Central Neighborhood Plan
Pioneer Rural Award
Lindsborg - Comprehensive Plan
New Horizon Individual Award
Amber Berg - Incorporating Equity into Transportation Plans: The case of pedestrian master plans
New Horizon Team Award
Kansas State University - Higher Ground: Proposals for a New West Side District Resilient to Wildcat Creek Flooding
Unified Government - Central Area Master Plan
Great Places in Kansas Award
Lenexa - Vision 2040
All APA-Kansas members are invited to nominate a person, group, institution, or organization for one of the following award categories:
- Ad Astra Award, recognizing an individual or institution making a significant long-term contribution to the field of planning in Kansas.
- Pioneer Award, recognizing best practices in planning that demonstrate creativity and innovation in a comprehensive, neighborhood, corridor, or transportation plan to meet a community need or solve a public problem, in urban or rural areas.
- John Keller Award NEW!, recognizing successful implementation of a tool, practice, program, project, or process accomplishing positive change as a result of planning.
- Sodbuster Award, recognizing an individual, appointed official, or an elected official who has advanced or promoted the cause of planning in the public arena.
- New Horizon Award, recognizing a student or student group that pushes the boundaries of planning in creative and innovative ways.
- Meadowlark Award NEW!, recognizing an individual, project, or program creating greater awareness of the value of planning to improve a community’s quality of life.
- Great Places in Kansas NEW!, recognizing a place of exemplary character and quality that embodies a visionary planning approach.
Awards are typically presented at the Annual Planning Conference. Please watch for an announcement for future award nominations.